Friday, October 14, 2005

Firewire Network On Fedora Core 4 and 5

I just bought a Firewire (IEEE 1394) cable to connect my AMD 64 bit (running Fedora Core 4) with my iBook, and strangely I can't get the firewire device be recognized as ethernet device even though I already inserted the eth1394 module using:

modprobe eth1394

(all other modules like iee1394, ohci1394 has been automatically inserted)

After searching through the Internet, I found out that this is a problem in Fedora core 4, and the solution is to build a new initrd. Some people might not know how to create a new initrd image (with eth1394 inserted of course), this is how:

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r` --with=eth1394

(note that the uname -r are surrounded by backticks, not apostrophes)

Actually I already had a wireless connection for connecting my iBook with my AMD64, but it is too slow to transfer large data (mostly things that I need to backup using my PC's DVD Writer). This firewire connection is a lot faster now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home